Our Department's History
Prior to 1869 the police work in the Village of Walden was handled by Town Constables. In that year Mordecal Homan was appointed Village Marshall at an annual salary of fifty dollars. He resided at 35 Walnut Street and it is reported that when arrests were made, his prisoners were confined in the woodshed at the rear of his house or in the cellar of his home until he could arrange for conveyance to transfer the prisoners to the county jail. These conditions prevailed until the completion of the Fire Department Building some months later which stood on the site of the present Municipal Building. A village jail was provided in the rear of this building.
In 1890 Levi M. Williams Sr., was appointed our first village policeman. Case Lake and Abe Evans were appointed special policemen and this became our first real Police Department. In those days helmets were worn instead of police caps and they were colored blue and gray.
Later, George Ronk became Chief of Police and a fully uniformed department was inaugurated.
In April, 1922, George Totty joined the police force and in April, 1927, he was appointed acting Chief of Police.
George Ward then took over the reins of the Walden Police Department as Chief of Police.
Townsend Cocks, who joined the force in 1934, was appointed Sergeant in February, 1954 and Chief of Police in October, 1959. He retired in April of 1968.
Edwin Sutherland became Chief of Police in April, 1968 and retired in February, 1979.
Sergeant Edward Eisley was appointed acting Chief in February, 1979
June 7, 1960 - The installation of a radio system was accomplished and was located in the Village Office then located in the Municipal Building. Dispatching was done by Village Office employees.
July 23, 1968 - Twenty Six pages of Rules and Regulations replaced one page policy in effect since 1951. Rules and Regulations were expanded to 39 pages in 1980.
September, 1969 - Donna Quick was hired as our first women police officer.
June 1, 1970 - First P.B.A. contract signed.
October, 1973 - Police Department offices enlarged.
April, 1974 - Burglar and Fire Alarm system installed in Police Station.
December, 1974 - Operation Reassurance was started for the elderly.
November, 1977 - New radar and alcohol detection devices were acquired from New York States Department of Criminal Justice Services, Bureau for Municipal Police, and selective enforcement program instituted.
December 2002 - Accreditation process begins.